JOSEPH KARMEL BENEVOLENT FUND
The late V.E. Sir Knight Joseph M. Karmel became a Knight Mason in the Great Chief’s Council of Knight Masons in the year 1926, and was a very enthusiastic member of this branch of the Masonic Order until his death in 1954. He was a founder member of Media Council of Knight Masons, No. 013, and served as Excellent Chief in 1933. He attained the office of Grand Senior Knight in Grand Council in 1948. The title for a Grand Senior Knight was subsequently upgraded to that of R.E. Sir Knight.
The fund was inaugurated with a sum of money donated by his family for the purpose of perpetuating his name in the annals of Knight Masonry, an honour of which he was well worthy.
Thomas W. Damery
Alfred E. McAfee
George R. Morris
The Great Chief: Joseph H. Hamill
The late R.E. Sir Knight George R. Morris was Secretary and Treasurer from the inception of the fund until 1993, when he was succeeded by the then R.E. Deputy Great Chief, the late R.E. Sir Knight John C. Magowan, F.C.A., until 1998.
He was succeeded by the then R.E. Grand Scribe, R.E. Sir Knight Bernard V.A.P.J. Woods. Subsequent to being elected M.E. Great Chief in 2007 for 2008, he then undertook the role of the Chairman of the Trustees, per the established custom.
R.E. Sir Knight Derek J.M. Moffatt was elected to the Office of Secretary and Treasurer in 2008. R.E. Sir Knight Moffatt decided to retire from that particular Office in 2018, having so successfully served in that particular role for more than a decade.
The current Trustee, Secretary, Treasurer is R.E. Sir Knight John T. Hassett.
A formal Trust Deed, having effect from the 1st January, 1997, has been approved by the Trustees, and provides:-
1. The name of the Fund shall be “Joseph Karmel Benevolent Fund”.
2. The object of the Fund is to provide assistance to or for the benefit of “Any subscribing Knight Mason who may be in need of emergency financial assistance (or in the case of a deceased Knight Mason, one who was subscribing at the time of his decease) or for the benefit of any widow of his or any child up to the age of twenty-one years who may be in need of emergency financial assistance”.
3. The control of the finances of the fund shall be exclusively under the control of the Trustees who shall submit Annual Audited Accounts to the Grand Council of Knight Masons not later than the June Stated Meeting in the following year.
4. All Funds shall be invested in such Stocks, Shares, etc., as is permitted by Law for the investment of Trust Funds.
5. The Trustees may appoint one of themselves to act as Secretary and Treasurer of the Fund. All cheques drawn on the Fund shall be signed by any two of the Trustees.
6. All applications for assistance must be made in duplicate on the prescribed form, copies of which may be obtained from the Secretary to the Fund.
7. Should any Sir Knight know where help is needed, he should inform the Scribe of his Council in confidence. The Scribe will complete the application form and send one copy, as soon as possible, to the Secretary of the Fund and the other copy to the * Trustee responsible for that particular Council.
8. The Trustees shall deal with all applications without delay and, if approved, will make a grant which may be in cash, kind or Bankers’ cheque.
9. Should a Trustee resign or become incapable of acting, it shall be incumbent on the remaining Trustees to nominate a new Trustee to fill the vacancy, subject to the approval of Grand Council.
10. Trustees and Committee Members responsible for the various Councils in Ireland, England and Overseas are:
R.E. Sir Knight Steven Bryans (Province of Greater Belfast):
Councils: 002, 004, 009, 017, 019, (021) 023, 027, 030, 036, 041, 045, 048, 049, 051, 052, 053, 065, 066, 071, 077.
R.E. Sir Knight Samuel J. Porter (Province of Ulster North):
Councils: 005, 015, 018, 025, 032, 034, 040, 042, 043, 044, 047, 056, 058, 059, 060, 061, 068, 075, 078.
R.E. Sir Knight Arnold Imrie (Province of Mid-Ulster):
Councils: 003, 007, 011, 016, 020, 022, 024, 031, 033, 035, 037, 046, 050, 057,069, 079, 080, 092.
R.E. Sir Knight Selwyn S. Davies (Province of Leinster & <|> Overseas):
Councils: Great Chief’s, 001, 006, 008, 010, 012, 013, 014, 029, 038, 054, 072, 073, 084, <|>026, <|>067, <|>074, <|>083, <|>087, <|>088, <|>091, <|>097, <|>098, <|>113, <|>118.
R.E. Sir Knight Angus P.D. Hannagan (Province of England & Wales):
Councils: 100, 101, 102, 103, 104, 105, 107, 108, 110, 111, 112.
To be announced:
Councils: (Province of Ohio, U.S.A.): 028, 062, 063, 064, 070, 076, 081, 082, 086, 089.
Councils: (Province of Australia): 039, 055, 085, 090, 093, 094, 095.
Councils: (Province of Greece): 096, 099, 106, 109.
Trustees & *Operations Committee:
*R.E. Sir Knight S. Bryans
Ven. Sir Knight T.J. Coulter
R.E. Sir Knight S.S. Davies
*R.E. Sir Knight A.P.D. Hannagan
R.E. Sir Knight J.T. Hassett – Secretary/Treasurer
R.E. Sir Knight A. Imrie
*R.E. Sir Knight D.J.M. Moffatt
*R.E. Sir Knight S.J. Porter
M.E. Sir Knight B.V.A.P.J. Woods – Chairman
Joseph Karmel Benevolent Fund,
17 Molesworth Street,
Dublin D02 HK50
For more information Contact Knight Masons